OVEN BEEF JERKY
Beef Jerky or Turkey Jerky is a high protein, filling snack, making it easily one of my favorites! However it can be really expensive and have unnecessary artificial flavoring. I never thought about making my own until recently and discovered it was actually so easy! It takes a bit of time since the meat is having to slowly dry out but you can easily be doing things around the house, which I love (Yay for multitasking) ! Check out my recipe below!
OVEN BEEF JERKY
· Beef Top Round (3 small slabs)
· 1 Cup Trader Joes Soyaki Sauce
· Bamboo Skewers ( I got mine at target for $2)
· * Optional Truffle salt to finish
1. Remove beef from packaging and slice into think strips. (Optional freeze for about an hour to make cutting easier)
2. Place beef strips in plastic bag with sauce to marinate (1-4 hours depending on preference I did mine for 4 hours while I was at work)
3. After marinating is completed Preheat oven to lowest setting between 100-150 degrees. Then pat dry meat and put on skewers.
4. Set oven rack one on the highest and on on the lowest heights. Place tinfoil on the lower rack to catch any drips.
5. Place Skewers on rack so it is hanging (Image below)
6. Make sure to keep the door propped open slightly so it doesn't get too humid humid in the oven.
7. Check every 2 hours to see how it is progressing. I let mine cook for about 4.5 hours then I smoked it for another 30 minutes in my in-laws Big Green Egg.
As you are testing the meat you are looking for it to be completely dry. You will achieve this by consistent heat and time so be patient, it took me about 5 hours for mine to be done!
I hope you enjoy this simple, healthy snack and stay tuned for more jerkies in the future!