SHRIMP & "GRITS"
Shrimp and Grits is is one of my all time favorite meals to order when we go out, I love all the different ways it is made. I found out recently that it was actually a traditional breakfast food, which I cant imagine eating seafood for breakfast but I could see the grits being nice! My version of shrimp and grits is a healthier alternative to the traditional southern meal, mine is grain free and dairy free. Check out the recipe below!
SHRIMP & “GRITS”
Prep Time:10 mins Cook Time: 30-40min Total Time: 40-50 min Servings: 2 servings
· 1 Cauliflower head
· 1 pound raw shrimp
· ½ Red onion
· Avocado oil
· Garlic, salt, and pepper
· 1/4 - 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
· Fresh parsley to garnish
1. Start by chopping the cauliflower and onions into small pieces, setting onion aside.
2. Next sauté the cauliflower using the avocado oil in a medium to large pan. Add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Set aside when completely soft.
3. Begin to sauté the onion and then adding the shrimp, searing it on both sides.
4. As the shrimp and onions are cooking place the cooked cauliflower and dairy free milk in a blender or food processor. Pulsing until smooth.
5. Place the Cauliflower in a bowl and then add the shrimp and onions on top, garnishing with parsley
Optional to add butter to the cauliflower, I used to do this but now I just sau·té it longer, giving the cauliflower a nice naturally buttery taste.
I fell in love with mashed cauliflower (what the "grits" are in this recipe when I was in high school. My mom found out she had an intolerance to potatoes, she began using cauliflower as a substitute. I thought it tasted even better than potatoes every did, so I began incorporating in more of my meals. I was even able to make it for Thanksgiving at my Grandparents when I was in college, enjoying its taste and benefiting that extra serving of veggies! I have learned to simply the recipe, which just keeps tasting better. As I mentioned before I used to add butter but found that if I sautéed the cauliflower until it was a light brown on the edges with salt, pepper, and garlic I no longer needed the butter, just a little dairy free milk!
Hope you enjoy this healthy delicious meal as much as I do! Feel free to leave your feedback below in the comment section or maybe pin it for later in Pinterest( right below) !