THAI ICED TEA
Those who know me know that I love Thai food, it's my favorite kind of food! I also love Thai iced tea as it takes away the sting from spicy foods and is such a sweet, yummy treat to have with my favorite Thai dish! However I don't like how it's jam-packed with nasty ingredients such as food coloring, condensed milk, and did I mention SO MUCH SUGAR!
I decided I was going to make my own Thai Iced tea but make some changes to make it a bit healthier! I made a few substitutes and even though it wasn't as orange (because I don't add food coloring to my food or drinks) it still tasted pretty delicious! Check out my recipe below:
* 2 cups water
* 2-3 bags of black tea
* 7 drops stevia
* 1 TBS honey or maple syrup
* 1/4 cup brown sugar, or coconut sugar
* 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
* Can of light coconut milk (or any dairy free milk)
* Optional turmeric for color (4-6 capsules, also sweetens a bit)
1. Boil water and make black tea, letting steep for at least 10-30 minutes (really strong and dark) I add my turmeric in at this time for colouring.
2. Next add your sweeteners and vanilla and turmeric (optional). Set in the refrigerator to chill.
3. Once tea is chilled, prepare cups with ice and fill with tea until 3/4 full, then top with coconut milk * or other dairy free milk. Stir gently and enjoy.
*With the TJ Coconut Milk I would suggest warming it up a bit to get it smooth.
Simple and way healthier than buying the pre-made kind! If you make it please comment below what you thought and any changes you made, I love hearing from my readers!