SIMPLE NATURAL HAND SOAP
I have to admit this is literally the most simple "recipe" I make out of all my little projects! I am talking two ingredient recipe for the BEST hand soap of all time! Check it out below and learn a little more about why I stopped buying "regular" hand soap below!
I discussed a bit of how harmful products can be in my previous post about Mrs. Meyers products but I thought I'd go over some of the more general harms of a typical store bought soap. Many of these soaps contain chemicals in the form of artificial fragrance and colors. There are so many toxins that we are already exposed to from the environment, so why add more chemicals to the product that is supposed to be cleaning you?
Triclosan & Triclocarban
They are both common and related to many health problems. Triclosan is most commonly found in liquid antibacterial soap. Triclocarban is the active ingredient in antibacterial and deodorant bar soaps.
- Endocrine disrupters ( My #1 no no)
- They are both carcinogens
- Can cause developmental and reproductive toxicity
- When these chemicals react with chlorine in tap water it produces dioxins. Dioxins are neurotoxins that can cause cancer, nerve disorders, and immune system disorders.
Synthetic colors are made from coal tar and contain heavy metal salts. These may deposit toxins onto the skin. Almost ALL of them contain carcinogens and will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number.
Parabens are found in many skin care products due to their ability to preserve other ingredients and extend a product’s shelf life. There are many types of parabens: methylparaben, butylparaben, propylparaben.
- Hormone disruptor
- Can cause diminished muscle mass and extra fat storage
- Topical parabens have been detected in human breast tumors. They can mimic the action of the female hormone estrogen, which can encourage the growth of human breast tumors.
That can all sounds so scary, so now what? First, READ INGREDIENTS, many companies are starting to take parabens out of their products but there are still other things to look out for! Another great option is to "make your own", check out my easy recipe that will save you money and give you the peace of mind that you know whats in your soap!
SIMPLE NATURAL HAND SOAP
- Dr. Bronner Pure castile soap ( Buy HERE from Amazon!)
- (optional essential oils for scent of Dr. Bronner has scent options!)
- foam soap dispenser
- Add 1 TBS castile soap and 10 TBS water (1/10 dilution) to your foam dispenser! You can add essential oils as well, I really like adding a bit of eucalyptus with my already scented lavender!)